Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Do You Like Green Eggs and Ham?

I wouldn't say our family eats "unhealthy" really... but there are certainly things I would like to change about our diet.

So I've been eye-balling this little gem of a book, Deceptively Delicious, by Jessica Seinfeld. I finally splurged and purchased the thing last night and decided to give it a whirl this morning.

It's all about being "tricky" and sneaking good foods into stuff your kids already love to eat. I must admit, my boys are really good about trying new things - they're not the problem. (My LITTLE boys that is... this does NOT include Brian.) Madison, however, is AWFUL. She is extremely picky (much like her father) and does not try anything new.

So this morning I announced that we would be having "green eggs and ham" for breakfast. The children were all excited because it *is* Dr. Seuss week at school...


It's made with pureed spinach, eggs and egg whites. (a little milk, salt and pepper for good measure.)

I wasn't worried about the boys because they'll actually EAT spinach in salad. But I was terrified that Madison would turn her nose up at it.







Since everything was pureed that might even be considered *icky*, it was just coloring to her, and I am happy to report that not only did she eat all of what was on her plate, SHE ASKED FOR MORE!

So this afternoon, I am making homemade mac & cheese - with hidden cauliflower.

I'm so THRILLED that the green eggs went over so well!!!

4 comments:

Lena said...

Okay, I may just have to try that...

Anonymous said...

I do, I like green eggs and ham. I like them, like them, Sam I am.

Gailey Family said...

I have heard about this cook book and I want to buy it! Keep me posted on if it is worth the cost. I am still debating.

Erin said...

I've never heard of that book, but sounds like a good idea. My family loves veggies. I started buying the V-8 fusion juices with a full serving of fruits and veggies, and they love it.

I've also made a "cream" soup with lima beans and ham. Pureed, no one can tell it's beans, and my family loves it! High in fiber, low fat, and really good.