Friday, June 20, 2008

My Apologies to the Chickens

I've worked hard in our ugly backyard. REALLY hard.

It's been a few years of neglect - just so much work needs to be done back there. I finally decided to just "dig in". And I've made so much progress! (Okay, Brian's helped too... but if you'll notice please - *I* am the one with more of a tan... just sayin'.)

We let our chickens "free range" all day long. This can create a problem when you're trying to garden as they do like to eat things...

This is the part that I must apologize to the chickens.

Dear Chickens -

I'm so sorry that I made you stay in your "cage" all day yesterday. I really just didn't want the new pepper plants eaten AGAIN. They cost money you see, and chicken feed is MUCH cheaper than new pepper plants. And new cucumber plants for that matter. Oh, and basil plants, but I'm not apologizing for that one, because I know it was you. ALL of you - I saw it with my own eyes.

Nevertheless, I kept you contained in the coop all day to try and spare the pepper/cucumber plants. This mornings task was going to be fashioning chicken wire "cages" for the plants so you could roam free, without my plants suffering devastating results.



But a curious thing happened this morning. I went out to feed and water y'all, and decided to take a look at said plants. They are eaten to the stem after just being planted yesterday. None of you were out, and I'm sure there isn't a mass flock of neighborhood chickens sneaking into our yard to eat my pepper plants.



It's the SLUGS that are to blame and I'm fighting MAD. (Hey... couldn't you just eat them all? I can show your where they're hiding...)

I'm sorry, little chickens... I now know it is not you that's to blame. (But you're still in trouble for the sad destruction to the basil plant... shame on you all!!!!)

4 comments:

Mel said...

I loved the letter to your chickens. I laughed. Though I am sorry about your plants, what a pain!

frugalmom said...

Argh! how frustrating! What kind of chicken is that with the skinny neck?

(and I hear that beer gets rid of slugs :-))

Anonymous said...

lol What a great post! I didn't know you had chickens. You have a great variety. I have only 3 Rhode Island Reds. I want to get more, but that'll have to wait until next year. :)

To save your plants from slugs and other pests without using pesticides, sprinkle Diatomaceous earth around and on them. The bugs get cut up by it. It also makes for a great dirt bath for the chickens too to keep them debugged.

Heidi said...

Thanks so much Brandi!!! :)