Friday, March 16, 2007

In need of some diversity.

I realized yesterday that we don't live in a diverse neighborhood. I know this because of a conversation I had with my 5 year old yesterday.

We were out in the front yard - the weather has been so nice, we've taken advantage and pretty much stayed outside the past few days.

An older man comes walking down our street. Jordan yells "hi" to the man. The man obviously doesn't hear Jordan, so doesn't respond.

Jordan asks if I know his name - I tell him I don't. Madison says "he looks like a grandpa, so that's his name". Okay... fine.

Jordan says (as the older man is still walking off) "maybe he doesn't speak our language. Maybe he speaks Spanish. I know how to say 'hi' in Spanish"... HOLA!!!" (in a very loud YELL down the street at said older man....)

Jordan turning back to me when there was no response: "Nope... doesn't speak Spanish either".

Same little boy just asked me today if for St. Patrick's Day we're having "Leprechaun Meat" like we did last year.
My poor kids think we catch leprechauns to EAT them!!!! I've tried to tell Jordan that leprechauns are "little people" that leave and do silly things on St. Patty's day, but he still thinks that come our evening meal of corned beef and cabbage, that we're actually eating leprechauns.

Would someone like to tell me where I've gone wrong???

2 comments:

QueenMeadow said...

Hello, where are you?

Just thinking of ya :)

and Hola, tee hee

Kerry said...

I'm thinking about you too ;-)